WAKERING (GREAT) is a large village, pleasantly situated on rising ground above the marshes. One mile from the sea shore, 5 miles East South East of Rochford, and 4½ miles East North East of Southend. Its parish contains 860 souls, and 2755 acres of land, including the small Islands of Great Potton and Rushley, together with the other islands clustered in the eastern angle of this Hundred. The lands round the village rise above the islands and marshes bordering on the sea and the creek, and the whole parish has a rich soil, in a high state of cultivation. The subsoil is clay, and at the depth of three feet is a white sand, and under it, in some places, is a reddish gravel. The lordship was held by Suene, at the Norman Conquest, and after being forfeited by Henry de Essex, it passed to the noble family of Nevill. In 1421, it became the portion of Anne, Countess of Stafford, and by her third husband it passed to the Bourchiers. Sir J.T. Tirell, Bart., of Boreham, is now lord of the of manor but Barrow Hall, Adam's Fee, Lovetots, and other estates, belongs to other proprietors. Barrow Hall farm is mostly in Little Wakering. The Wakerings, who took their name from the parish, were seated here in the 15th and 16th centuries, at Barrow Hall, and a branch of them at Wakering Place. Adam's Fee belonged to Adam Fitz-Simon, and is vulgarly called Aldermans. Lovetots estate extends into Little Wakering, and is supposed to have been held by the ancient family of Lovetot. A fair is held in the village on the 25th of July.

The Church (St. Nicholas,) is a neat building, with a tower at the west end, containing four bells, and crowned by a spire. It was appropriated to Bileigh abbey, near Maldon. The vicarage valued in K.B.at £20.13s.4d., and in 1831 at £233, is in the patronage of the Bishop of London, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Dodson. The tithes were commuted 1843; and the parish has a National School and an Independent Chapel.

List of Inhabitants

Note: the directory lists the names in the following order: Surname, First Name. It also abbreviates names. These have been reversed and typed in full to assist research.

James Allerton, farmer, Great Potton
Charles Asplin, farmer, Hall
James Ayton, saddler
Abraham Bennewith, wheelwright
John Boreham, saddler
John Burgess, bricklayer
James Catmull, joiner and builder
Willima Cottee, farmer, (and South Shoebury)
William Cox, gardener
Samuel Crump, farmer, Rushley Island
Rev. Edward Dodson, Vicarage
Isaac Francis, builder
John Freeman, wheelwright
William Fulcher, carrier and victualler, White Hart
Thomas Goodson, shoemaker
William Harris, corn miller and grocer
James Heap, blacksmith
William Howard, barge master
George Hutson, schoolmaster
Rev. Issac Jacob (Independent)
Misses Jennings, farmers
Mary Ann Lewsay, victualler, Anchor
Isaac manning, National School
Charles Milller, surgeon
Alexander North, smith and farrier
William Parsons, farmer, Winters
Tamar Potten, victualler, Bell
Thomas Scott, tailor
Thomas Smith, builder and brick maker
William Springett, draper and clothier
John Wale, shoemaker
Alfred Wedd, farmer
Mary Westney, victualler, Red Lion

John Freeman
Abraham Gilson
William Harris
John Porter
John Smith
John Threadgold

Thomas Beard
William Oliver

Grocers and Flour Dealers.
George Bullock
Mary Burgess
Mary Harris
Charles Leeks
William Oliver
John Rivers
William Westhorpe, (and leather cutter)
William Whitaker, (and draper)
Mellor Wyborne

Barling & Wakering Heritage

© 2015  - Richard Kirton - All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Site Map

Home  Villages Websites Barling Magna Great Wakering Foulness Shopland Gallery Miscellany Information