Extract from ‘The Rayner Family of Great Wakering” by Albert Rayner Bsc (Econ) FCA [page 62
According to the 1841 Tithe Apportionment, there were over 20 landowners in the parish of Great Wakering, excluding house and shop property and their adjacent land. Apart from the fields and marshes east of the village, the ownership was fairly well spread.
By far the largest landowner was the Wedd family, their land stretching from their Whitehall estate and Mill barn to Oxenham, to Landwick and beyond to the coast and to Wakering Stairs. The brickfields at Millhead and Landwick were also included.
Rebecca Pinnock and Ephraim Howard owned a stretch of land beyond the Wick. It included arable, pasture and saltings and, together with the Wick homestead, was occupied by Wither Jennings.
Francis Bannister owned and occupied Rushley Island.
Samuel Benton owned and farmed extensive land around 0ldbury.
Richard Catlow Bowden owned the land between Oxenham and the creek, together with scattered fields elsewhere and also Millers Farm, all of which was farmed by Thomas Rumbal.
Thomas Bannister Castle owned land across from Clay Street, all occupied by Christopher Parsons. He also owned Winters, occupied by John Gladwin.
Joseph Shinglewood Crosin was the proprietor of land south of the High Street, including what is now called Lion Field.
Sir John Ryssen Tyrell owned a stretch of land south of Little Wakering Hall and land south of the High Street, opposite Little Wakering Corner - all farmed by Charles Asplin.
Lord Henniker owned Great Potten Island, which was let to Joseph Hickenbotham.