The following extract is from ‘The History of Rochford Hundred – History of Barling’ by Philip Benton of Wakering Hall 1867 [p.39]
"Cotts" was so called from John Cott, an owner in 1721. There is an ancient house near the church, now belonging to this property, with the date 1675 upon it. It was formerly much more antique in appearance than at present, with a projecting roof, a porch in front, and cellars underneath. Some have thought that this was formerly capitular property, but there is no evidence to support this assumption. Tradition says it was a public house previous to the Goat ale-house, and as in the old rate book a place called the "White Elm," was rated from 1723, to a late period in the last century, we may reasonably conclude that this is the spot. It was formerly called Catteridges.
These ancient houses situated a short walk from Barling Church were most probably the old Goat Ale-house.
Date Listed: 15 November 1983
English Heritage Building ID: 123076
OS Grid Reference: TQ9314589611
OS Grid Coordinates: 593145, 189611
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5723, 0.7858
Location: Church Road, Barling, Essex SS3 0LS
Locality: Barling Magna
Local Authority: Rochford
Postcode: SS3 0LS
2 dwellings of several builds, mid C16 right No. 26 and part of No. 28, C17 left range formerly No. 30 now No. 28. No. 26 with C19 with lean-to entrance to right. Timber framed and plastered. Red plain tiled roofs, hipped lower level to left. End right red brick chimney stacks to each range, that to right plastered with 2 diagonal shafts. 2-storey left range; 2-storey and attics right range with attic window to left return gable. Date 1627 to left of right range. There is a painted projection below eaves level to right. Original pargetting and panelling removed before 1955, the date panel then read 167(8). 2:3 first floor, 3:4 ground floor windows all 2 or 3-light casements, some C19 with centre transoms, others C20 leaded lights. Left No. 28, C20 gabled porch and door, right No. 26 C19 vertically boarded door, pentice board carries over window to left. Internal heavy frame with stop chamfered bridging joists. Framed side purlin roof.
Listing NGR: TQ9314589611
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence: PSI Click-use licence number C2008002006.
On David and Dawn Bailey’s excellent website there is a photograph of the Wedding of William Outten and Lucy Groves taken in the Garden of Cotts Cottage, Church Road, Barling in June 1902.